Soft Matter CryoTEM Workshop
TU/e, Laboratory of Materials and Interface Chemistry together with FEI Company will organize the 5th International CryoTEM Workshop 2017, from March 6th - March 10th 2017
Advancements in cryo-transmission electron microscopy (cryoTEM) have made it possible to image objects from biological origin, such as viruses and proteins, now also reaching near atomic resolution. In recent years cryoTEM is also increasingly used to investigate soft matter of synthetic origin: assemblies of organic (macro)molecules and/or inorganic nanoparticles.
Since almost a decade, Eindhoven University of Technology and FEI company have worked together at the forefront of this new field trying to advance cryoTEM in materials science, both through developing dedicated microscopes but also through developing advanced tools and methods for sample preparation and imaging. This has allowed us to investigate a variety of soft and hybrid materials in their native hydrated state with nanometer resolution both in two and three dimensions. Using cryoTEM and cryo-electron tomography (3D cryoTEM) we have revealed the structure and morphology of assemblies of surfactants, lipids and (bio)polymers in solution, as well as at interfaces. But cryoTEM also allows us to study the interactions between organic and inorganic components, e.g. in the mineralization of collagen, generating artificial bone-like materials.
With this workshop we want to demonstrate the possibilities of cryoTEM, and to show you how to use this powerful technique, in your own research and in your own laboratory. The workshop is aimed at participants at PHD/post doc level and who are experienced in basic microscopy and who wish to extend their knowledge and practical experience in 2D and/or 3D cryo imaging. The workshop will consist of lectures from experts, but also of extensive practical hands-on sessions.
Special workshop offer for 4TU members: 1000 euro grant for 4TU participants
Conditions for 4TU.HTM grant: (validity will be checked via supervisor after submission)
- Member of the 4TU federation: PhD, PD, (UH)D/graduation student
- Request must be submitted before December 15th , 2016 for approval by 4TU.HTM
- Supervisor must approve request
- Number of grants is limited to 7 (seven!) on a first-come, first-served basis
- Fee for workshop (1750 euro) must be paid before Feb 1st , 2017
- After attending the workshop copy of certificate of participation accompanied with Grant Request Form must be sent to the contact person of 4TU.HTM
- Grant will be awarded after the workshop
- For more information mail the contact person of 4TU.HTM or CMEM
- TEM OF SOFT MATTER: WHY CRYO-TEM?
- SAMPLE PREPARATION: VITRIFICATION
- LOW DOSE IMAGING
- INTERPRETATION OF IMAGES
- 2D VS 3D: TOMOGRAPHY
- DATA ACQUISTION
- 3D RECONSTRCUTION AND VISUALIZATION